Saturday, February 4, 2012

Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punisment by Fydor Dostoyevsky is a novel about a murderer and his life after he commits this horrible crime.  It is a very long novel but is really good.  Just a disclamer, DO NOT read this book if you have a weak stomach.  It has a lot of gruesome details throughout the book.  If you can overlook these parts, the novel is really good.  It is very well written but is a little hard to read because it was translated from Russian. 
The book has some really great themes, such as conscience, guilt, and the extraordinary man theory.  I don't want to say too much about the book because I don't want to ruin it for anyone.  So even though this is a very long book.  The post will be short.
I would reccommend this book to everyone.  Well everyone who is at least a senior in High School.  Anyone younger than that probably wouldn't understand the book.  Again if you don't had violence or gore very well I suggest not reading this book.  It goes into great detail about the murder, that scene was hard for even me to read. If you do choose to read this book, which I hope you do, don't read it at night.  Because you have to focus to read it, reading it before going to bed can cause you to have some pretty interesting dreams.
I know this book comes with a lot of disclamers, but it really is a great book.  I loved it once I finished it.  It was hard to get through but after you have read the whole book and you understand it, you feel so accomplished.  If anyone decides to read this book, feel free to post any questions you have about it here.  I will try to answer any questions in a timely manner.  Enjoy the book!

1 comment:

Michele said...

Great review, i have tried to read this dang book three or four times and have given up! Im so impressed you read it and liked it , your my hero!