Thursday, July 21, 2011

Nooks/Kindles vs. Paper Books

One of my readers asked how I felt about nooks and kindles.  I personally didn't like the idea of an electronic book at first.  I love the way the pages of a paper book feel between your fingers, the smell of a brand new book and the smell of an old one.  I just love everything about books.  When my brother first got a nook he tried to convince me how cool it was and for awhile I didn't want to listen to him.  Then my friend who was a senior last year said that their English class rented kindles to put all the books they were reading on.  I then saw the usefulness of a nook or a kindle.  You can take as many books as you would like anywhere you go.  Next year in my English class we read a lot of different books, we also get to use a kindle to put them all on.  This eliminates having to carry a lot of books and make your backpack even heavier.
I personally have a nook that I am going to use for school next year, for me it won't replace paper books but I find it useful for traveling and other situations where a paper book might not be as convenient.  That is my personal opinion but, I would love to hear what you think about nooks and kindles too.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Thank you for your thoughts, I agree with you that there is something amazing about holding a book and feeling the paper. I think nooks and kindles have there place and for a student it would be awesome to lighten the load. I think for me at least for now I will stick with good old paper. Thanks for taking time to share your insight.

Michele said...

I miss you....Where did you go? Ok so you are in school now but don't forget about your loyal followers lol. I would love to know what you are required to read this year :) I didn't get the "normal" school experience and thought it would be fun to read some of those required books.